The original Walker's Electric shop with two service trucks parked out front

Since 1935

Our History

Walker's Electric has gone through several moves and changes in its long history to become the company it is today.

It all started back in 1935, when Edwin Walker first moved to Midland. He was an electrician by trade, hoping to work for the new Ontario Hydro regional office that was to open in 1936. Instead, he went to work for himself, starting an electrical contracting business called Ed Walker out of his home on Mildred Street. He successfully landed a government contract to wire warships — Fairmiles and minesweepers built at the Midland Boat Works, Penetang Grew Boats and the Honey Harbour Shipyard — with a crew of up to 60 men.

A series of moves followed: first to 377 Hugel Street, then in 1941 to a house on King Street beside the Odeon Theatre (now the Midland Cultural Centre). In 1943 he built a shop out back for inventory and trucks (now Cellarman's Ale House), and five years later added a store to sell appliances (now Georgian Bay Windsurfing).

Walker's Electric shop on King Street with a Chevrolet and Dodge service truck
The Walker's Electric shop and service trucks — wiring and heating, King Street, Midland.

In 1967, the second generation — Ken, Gordon, Alan and David Walker — became partners in the newly incorporated Ed Walker's Electric Ltd, moving to a new location at 889 King Street and adding a custom control panel division named Walker Panels. By then the company served commercial, industrial, marina, farm and residential customers.

Edwin Walker seated with his four sons, the second generation of Walker's Electric
Edwin Walker with his sons Ken, Gordon, Alan and David — the second generation, partners in Ed Walker's Electric Ltd.

In 1959, Walker's Electric helped install the first home north of Toronto with a complete electric heating system, a technological breakthrough at the time, and the family showcased it at the annual Midland Fall Fair.

Ed Walker ran the company with his sons into the early 1980s before retiring and leaving it fully to the second generation, who continued serving Midland, Huronia and beyond from the 889 King Street location for another decade.

In November 1993, the company moved to its present location at 169 Bay Street, fully renovated to house the business — by then expanded to four divisions: electrical contracting, custom control panels, mechanical and security.

In August 1999, Ed Walker's Electric Ltd became Walker's Electric, reflecting the company's third generation of family ownership. Gordon Walker remained active as the only second-generation family member still involved. The company streamlined by selling its mechanical and security divisions, and third-generation Glenn Walker (Gordon's son) took over day-to-day leadership.

Need an electrician?

Tell us about your project and we'll get back to you with a quote.